Quick & Easy Thai Tofu Stir Fry
This stir fry is perfect if you’re looking to incorporate more plant based meals into your week and is also delicious and filling!
Let me break down the nutrients in this stir fry and give you some genetic insights as well!
Tofu is a great high protein meat substitute that is made from soybeans. Not only is it high in plant-based protein, but also in calcium, and iron. If you are genetically predisposed to low calcium or iron levels due to issues with your metabolism of these nutrients, incorporating tofu into your diet can help improve your blood levels of these nutrients.
This recipe originally contained coconut milk, however I substituted it with greek yogurt. This is a really easy swap to decrease your saturated fat intake as coconut milk is high in saturated fat. This is a great swap if you have the CC variant of the APOA2 gene that would make you a hyper absorber of saturated fat – detrimental to your heart and for your weight! The greek yogurt also adds some calcium into the meal which helps if you are at risk of lower calcium absorption due to your GC gene. If you want to make this vegan, you could add cashew cream instead of greek yogurt for some additional healthy fats.
Broccoli is truly an amazing addition to any meal. It is a great source of potassium & fibre. Broccoli sprout extract has actually been shown to increase detoxification in the body through turning on special detox genes in the liver! This is because broccoli contains sulforaphane, which is a powerful antioxidant that protects our cells from damage.
Brown rice provides a type of complex healthy carb to make you the meal or satisfying and satiating. Complex carbs contain fibre, which has countless health benefits including gut health and decreasing your risk of chronic diseases. If you are TT or GT from the TCF7L2 gene, consuming most grain products as whole grains can reduce your risk of developing type 2 diabetes, preventing sharp blood sugar spikes.
Thai Tofu Stir Fry with Brown Rice
1.5 teaspoons canola oil
2 teaspoons green curry paste
140g Tofu (cubed)
370g frozen broccoli (chopped)
60ml greek yogurt
1 tablespoon peanuts (crushed)
190g uncooked brown rice
- Combine uncooked brown rice with 600ml of water in a pot and bring to a boil.
- Cover and reduce heat to low.
- Simmer for 30-40 minutes until most of the liquid is absorbed then remove from heat.
- Keep covered and steam for an additional 10 minutes.
- Fluff with fork.
- Heat oil in a skillet over medium heat. Add garlic and cook for 1 minute.
- Add tofu and saute for 7-8 minutes turning over twice.
- Add broccoli, curry paste, greek yogurt and peanuts. You may want to add some water to the pan at this point.
- Cover and simmer for another 8-10 minutes
- To serve, top cooked rice with tofu and veggies.